Saying goodbye to 2010
Hard to believe the new year is upon us, and it is this time that we take to look back at all of the biggest headlines and moments from 2010.
Earlier this week, I printed a ‘Year in Pictures,’ showcasing some highlights from throughout Union County. Now I’ll entertain you in written form with some of my favorite moments from this year.
New Albany football’s historic run- Now y’all know that I have to start here. With football being one of my favorite sports, this season was exciting for everyone involved. With each week bringing tougher opponents and bigger wins, there were very few, if any, dull moments for the Bulldogs this season.
2010 State basketball tournament- I mentioned in an earlier column that there’s no way you can’t be excited about watching three different schools that you cover vie for state titles in the same sport. Myrtle, Ingomar and New Albany gave that to me this year, with the Falcons earning a big title win for their legendary head coach. It doesn’t hurt that two more teams finished as state runners-up in their respective classes.
Chris Basil’s 200th win- There are certain games that are big for any coach whether it be their first one or, in the case of East Union’s head baseball coach, the 200th. Basil’s mark shows his commitment to the East Union program he has led for many years, and there are no signs of him slowing down any time soon.
New Albany girls undefeated run- Like with football, watching a team make a run at perfection can be both fun and nerve wrecking. I experienced both watching the Lady ‘Dawgs last season, and despite their loss in the state title game, they are still among the elite in the state, earning a national ranking. It will be fun to watch both them and Myrtle’s girls throughout the course of the next few months.
Cross Country domination- It’s special when one team wins a state title in a particular sport, but when you have three in one year, I think that makes Union County a dominator in the sport. East Union and West Union girls, along with Myrtle boys, carried on a tradition in 2010, one that has brought at least one state title back to the county each year since 2007.
Along with the cross country and basketball state titles, we also celebrated championships in track (Myrtle girls and New Albany’s Zach Hand), tennis (New Albany) and bowling (East Union), as well as an individual championship in cross country for Bryan Cook.
There was a lot to be excited about in 2010, and hopefully there will be more to celebrate in 2011!
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...