Toyota and tobacco
The decision by Toyota Motor Manufacturing to implement a totally tobacco/smoke free campus at its new Union County facility is somewhat surprising given the number of Mississippians who smoke or chew.
The company announced this week that the Mississippi manufacturing plant will be the first Toyota plant in North America to become totally tobacco/smoke free.
The new policy will go into effect Sept. 6, 2001, which also is about the time the plant is expected to produce its first Corollas.
Smoking, smokeless and non-tobacco/smoke smoking products will be prohibited not only in the plant and around its shipping and receiving docks, but also in company parking lots. The policy will apply to all employees, suppliers, contractors and visitors to the facility, the company said.
“The decision to implement a tobacco free campus … was made as part of our overall company initiative to promote a healthy lifestyle for team members, on-site suppliers, contractors, and visitors,” the company statement said.
The company said there are no plans to implement a tobacco-free campus at any other current Toyota location.
Toyota operates an enormous plant that produces the Camry in the heart of tobacco-growing country in Georgetown, Ky.
We applaud the company for starting with a fresh outlook toward tobacco at its Mississippi facility. It’s another step in the effort to get Mississippians to eliminate the use of tobacco products for their own health and that of colleagues around them.
Health and wellness initiatives are important for all of us.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series