Toyota and tobacco
The decision by Toyota Motor Manufacturing to implement a totally tobacco/smoke free campus at its new Union County facility is somewhat surprising given the number of Mississippians who smoke or chew.
The company announced this week that the Mississippi manufacturing plant will be the first Toyota plant in North America to become totally tobacco/smoke free.
The new policy will go into effect Sept. 6, 2001, which also is about the time the plant is expected to produce its first Corollas.
Smoking, smokeless and non-tobacco/smoke smoking products will be prohibited not only in the plant and around its shipping and receiving docks, but also in company parking lots. The policy will apply to all employees, suppliers, contractors and visitors to the facility, the company said.
“The decision to implement a tobacco free campus … was made as part of our overall company initiative to promote a healthy lifestyle for team members, on-site suppliers, contractors, and visitors,” the company statement said.
The company said there are no plans to implement a tobacco-free campus at any other current Toyota location.
Toyota operates an enormous plant that produces the Camry in the heart of tobacco-growing country in Georgetown, Ky.
We applaud the company for starting with a fresh outlook toward tobacco at its Mississippi facility. It’s another step in the effort to get Mississippians to eliminate the use of tobacco products for their own health and that of colleagues around them.
Health and wellness initiatives are important for all of us.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...