Analyzing dirty water
New Albany has begun a long-needed analysis of the problems and possible solutions associated with the city’s reputation for dirty water.
Bill Mattox, the new head of the Light, Gas and Water Department, is looking into the problem that has plagued city residents for many years.
At a meeting of the Board of Aldermen last week, Mattox said he should have his analysis complete within four to six months, including a list of options to deal with the situation.
Mattox said the rusty-water look that often is present in the city’s water is caused by iron and manganese.
City water now is treated for both substances. Much of the problem now surrounds line breaks, Mattox said.
We understand that fixing the problem may be expensive for the city, but not fixing the problem already is expensive for residents. The dirty water contributes to problems with homeowners’ washers, dishwashers, ice makers, as well as water lines.
A number of residents have told us their tales of discolored and ruined clothes, as well as expensive water filters.
So far, we have been impressed with Mattox’s candidness and business-like approach to the handling of his new job.
We think that keeping residents abreast at each step of the process of the issues involved in improving utility services will help build support for whatever revenue increase may be required to fix them.
We look forward to hearing his analysis of the fixes needed and their cost.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...