Grisham receives a majority of county votes in Highway
Despite not finishing in the top two positions in the competitive race for Mississippi’s Northern District Transportation commissioner, Dennis C. Grisham of Dumas received the most votes of the seven candidates among Union County voters Tuesday.
Grisham received 942 votes out of 1,813 votes that were cast by Union County residents, either at the polls Tuesday or by absentee ballot.
The candidate receiving the next highest number of votes in Union County was Mike Tagert, of Starkville. Two hundred and forty-one votes were cast for Tagert, who will face John Caldwell, Sr. in a runoff in three weeks.
Caldwell received only 100 votes from Union County residents.
Of the other candidates in the race, Joey Hood received 186 votes in the county, Larry Lee received nine votes, Warner McBride received 165 votes and Ray Minor, brother to the former Commisioner Bill Minor, received 170 votes.
District-wide, Caldwell received the most votes, with 10,660, followed by Tagert with 10,373.
The runoff will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 1. The winner will serve the final months of a four-year term and then be up for re-election this fall.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...