Union County Tournament-Day one
East Union used a big game behind the arc to lead them in their opening round win against West Union, 70-59, Thursday night.
Drew Bruce helped the Urchins build an early 16-11 lead, and East Union held the advantage until a second quarter basket by Chase Taylor gave the Eagles their last lead of the game, and the Urchins scored 14 straight to take a 36-30 lead to the break.
West Union went on a 12-0 run in the third quarter, cutting the deficit to only four, 49-45. Broderick Montgomery broke the run and the Urchins pulled away, outscoring West Union 17-14 in the fourth quarter.
Chris Tables led East Union (7-10) with 15 points, followed by Bruce with 14 points, 12 off three-pointers. Kirk Fryar added 11 points for East Union, who will face New Albany in the first boys semifinal on Friday.
Chase Taylor led West Union (4-12) with 19 points, followed by 12 from Kyle Taylor and 11 points from Drew Gray.
The Urchins and Bulldogs will play at 6:30 p.m. on Friday.
Ingomar 54 East Union 28 (girls)
The Lady Falcons opened the UCT with their convincing win against East Union, led by 26 points from Kayla Stevens.
Stevens scored the first seven points for Ingomar, who held a five-point advantage after the first quarter. Ashley Leach connected on two triples later in the half, but the Lady Falcons still maintained a double-digit lead by Stevens with 14 second half points.
Shelly Grisham added nine points for Ingomar (7-13), while the Lady Urchins (2-15) were led by Dezjarna Bryant with 13 points and 10 by Leach.
Ingomar will take on New Albany in the girls semifinal at 5 p.m. on Friday.
Myrtle 71 West Union 32 (girls)
Myrtle advanced to the girls championship game after their commanding win against the Lady Eagles in the final game of the first day.
Aspriona Gilbert paced the Lady Hawks with 10 first quarter points, while Kiana Judon scored 11 points, all in the first half, including three triples. Jenna Jordan connected on three more three-pointers, as Myrtle totaled 11 in the game.
Gilbert led the Lady Hawks with 19 points, followed by Keanna Cox with 13, Jordan and Halle Knowles with 12 points each.
Myrtle will face the New Albany-Ingomar winner in Saturday’s championship game at 6 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series