Union County Tournament-Day one
East Union used a big game behind the arc to lead them in their opening round win against West Union, 70-59, Thursday night.
Drew Bruce helped the Urchins build an early 16-11 lead, and East Union held the advantage until a second quarter basket by Chase Taylor gave the Eagles their last lead of the game, and the Urchins scored 14 straight to take a 36-30 lead to the break.
West Union went on a 12-0 run in the third quarter, cutting the deficit to only four, 49-45. Broderick Montgomery broke the run and the Urchins pulled away, outscoring West Union 17-14 in the fourth quarter.
Chris Tables led East Union (7-10) with 15 points, followed by Bruce with 14 points, 12 off three-pointers. Kirk Fryar added 11 points for East Union, who will face New Albany in the first boys semifinal on Friday.
Chase Taylor led West Union (4-12) with 19 points, followed by 12 from Kyle Taylor and 11 points from Drew Gray.
The Urchins and Bulldogs will play at 6:30 p.m. on Friday.
Ingomar 54 East Union 28 (girls)
The Lady Falcons opened the UCT with their convincing win against East Union, led by 26 points from Kayla Stevens.
Stevens scored the first seven points for Ingomar, who held a five-point advantage after the first quarter. Ashley Leach connected on two triples later in the half, but the Lady Falcons still maintained a double-digit lead by Stevens with 14 second half points.
Shelly Grisham added nine points for Ingomar (7-13), while the Lady Urchins (2-15) were led by Dezjarna Bryant with 13 points and 10 by Leach.
Ingomar will take on New Albany in the girls semifinal at 5 p.m. on Friday.
Myrtle 71 West Union 32 (girls)
Myrtle advanced to the girls championship game after their commanding win against the Lady Eagles in the final game of the first day.
Aspriona Gilbert paced the Lady Hawks with 10 first quarter points, while Kiana Judon scored 11 points, all in the first half, including three triples. Jenna Jordan connected on three more three-pointers, as Myrtle totaled 11 in the game.
Gilbert led the Lady Hawks with 19 points, followed by Keanna Cox with 13, Jordan and Halle Knowles with 12 points each.
Myrtle will face the New Albany-Ingomar winner in Saturday’s championship game at 6 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...