Ingomar cheer wins state
Long hours and numerous practices paid off for the cheerleading squad of Ingomar. Competing in the Small Varsity 1A division at the 2010 state champions, the girls brought a title home, earning enough points to qualify as state champions.
“It was pretty exciting,” captain Bailey Littlejohn said. “We had a lot of things we had to work around, different schedules and lots of hours practicing, but it definitely paid off.”
Practicing since September and under the direction of choreographer Amanda Miller, Ingomar was one of several area schools to vie for one of the numerous state titles in the competition.
“A lot of people do not realize how many hours go into it,” co-captain Megan McDonald said. “We spent at least three hours, three days a week practicing after school, and you also have to give up your weekends for practice.”
The squad consists of 11 girls, ranging from junior high to high school. While they were the only competitors in their division, they still had to qualify with a certain amount of points to earn the championship, a feat the girls are proud to have accomplished.
“These are not just given away,” Littlejohn said. “We performed and earned enough points to qualify for the title. I think we did good.”
This is the first title for this group in the sport, and seniors, like Littlejohn, are happy to have earned it after they fell short a few years ago.
“My first year on the squad, we won regionals and made it to state, but our music messed up,” she explained. “Otherwise, I feel like we could have earned, at least, runner-up.”
The state champion squad was honored at a reception this past Tuesday night before the Falcons and Lady Falcons hosted Myrtle in basketball.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...