East Mississippi gets two wins in Booneville
East Mississippi got things started in game one as the Lady Lions cruised to 61-52 win over the Lady Tigers and in game two Northeast fell 91-81 to the Lions.
Coach Ricky Ford’s team dropped to 8-8 and 3-3 in the North Division while Coach Sharon Thompson’s unit moved to 8-7 and 3-2.
Leading the way for East Mississippi was Kierra Jones, who had a game high 19 points and 12 boards, followed by Kiara Quinones-Noa’s 14 and Jamie Gunter’s 10. The only double-digit scorer for Northeast was Anna Brooke Page who had 15 points along with a pair of rebounds and two blocked shots.
On the men’s side, David Robbins squad only trailed by three points at the break 40-37 however, were outscored 51-44 in the second half despite getting a game-high 28 points from Jermaine Hollimon.
Hollimon was 11-of-21 from the floor and 5-of-8 from the charity stripe but only managed to hit 1-for-8 from downtown.
Tyler Pritchard added 21 points while Cedric Janes contributed 10.
East Mississippi was led by Jonathan King’s 26 points and 13 boards shooting an impressive 9-of-10 from the floor and going 8-for-9 from the free throw line.
Deonte Alexander had 23, Donavan Walker 17, while DJ Evans added 13 for the Lions.
Northeast only turned the ball over 13 times compared to 18 for East Mississippi but three-point shooting was clearly on the side of the Lions. The Lions hit 9-of-18 (50-percent) while the Tigers struggled only hitting 4-of-18 for 22-percent.
Both teams will look to rebound from the tough losses while getting extra practice time in this week.
Northeast's next match-up will come on Thursday, January 27 when it travel to Senatobia to face Northwest Mississippi Community College for another North division game.
Tip-off is set for 5 p.m. for the ladies and 7 p.m. for the men.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...