Support clean air
The danger from second-hand smoke is real, and several groups are pushing legislation to ban smoking in all public places in Mississippi.
We support the legislation, not only because we support a healthier lifestyle, but also because second-hand smoke is such a health problem for employees of establishments that permit smoking.
This week Union County residents had a chance to learn more about the issue at a lunch at the Magnolia Civic Center put on by Smokefree Air Mississippi, a program led by the state Department of Health.
Smokefree Air Mississippi is a statewide initiative established last year to improve the health of Mississippians by educating them about the dangers of smoking and advocating a smoke-fee environment in public places.
It’s part of a partnership with the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, the American Heart Association and the Partnership for a Healthy Mississippi.
In addition to the community meetings, the group is conducting an advertising campaign to get citizens to lobby their legislators to support the proposal.
We encourage you to call our representatives to voice your support. Rep. Margaret Ellis Rogers can be reached at 662-534-8886 and Sen. Nickey Browning of Pontotoc is at 662-489-5979.
Most restaurants already ban smoking. Much of the opposition to the proposal comes from the casino industry that claims it will lose revenue if smoking is not permitted. We say health is more important than casino revenue.
We hope you agree.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...