Renasant Challenge features big match-ups
Ingomar will play host to some of the region’s best teams in this weekend’s Renasant Bank/Relay for Life Girls Challenge.
New Albany and Myrtle will each square off in an afternoon slate that feature four of the state’s top 10 teams along with one of the best teams in the nation in Memphis Central.
“We have several great teams competing in this year’s tournament, and the afternoon will feature several big match-ups that are sure to excite fans,” Renasant personal banker and tournament team captain Emily Mayo said. “The goal is to raise money for the Union County chapter of Relay for Life, and this is our big fundraiser, which we hope will bring in $10,000.”
Mayo noted that children battling cancer and cancer survivors will be honored during each game, and unique to this year’s tournament are pink basketballs, which will be used and awarded to each winner throughout the day.
The tournament will start with East Union and Houlka at 10 a.m. and will be followed by West Union and Hatley. Ingomar will take on Alcorn Central at 12:30 p.m.
2A state runners-up in 2010, New Site will take on North Pontotoc at 2 p.m., and a big afternoon of games will follow, beginning with Ripley and Lafayette at 3:15 and followed by Pontotoc and Choctaw Central, the state’s seventh ranked team, at 4:30.
Union County’s top two teams will face off against some of Tennessee’s best, beginning with New Albany and Memphis Central at 5:45 p.m. This game showcases two teams who were nationally ranked by USA Today, and Memphis Central boasts two highly-talented players in Aaliyah Whiteside and Danielle Ballard.
Myrtle, new to the Clarion Ledger’s Super 10 Poll and the state’s top team in 1A, will face Briarcrest at 7:15 p.m. and the day will end with Tupelo and Belmont at 8:30.
Admission is $5 for the day, and state passes will be allowed. Gates will open at 9 a.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...