Northeast softball opens signing class with New Albany standout
Northeast Mississippi Community College head softball coach Jody Long opened up his 2012 signing class on Monday, February 7.
EllenTarrant, a third baseman from New Albany High School became Long’s first signee of the 2012 signing class when the New Albany senior signed with the Lady Tiger program during a ceremony held in the media room at New Albany High School.
“It’s a great way to start off our 2012 signing class,” Long said. “I think she will fit well in our program with what we are trying to do. We expect big things out of her in the next two years to come.”
Tarrant led the Lady Bulldogs in slugging during the 2010 season when the then-New Albany junior pieced together a .600 slugging percentage with 12 doubles and a pair of triples.
Tarrant also finished third on the team in plate appearances (86), hits (26), runs batted in (16) and triples.
“I am real excited. I have always wanted to play college softball,” Tarrant said. “This opportunity has been a blessing.”
Tarrant also accounted for over one third of all doubles hit by the Lady Bulldogs during the 2010 season and was perfect on the bases going 5-for-5 in the stolen base department.
“Northeast got a gem,” said New Albany athletic director and softball coach Shane Sanderson. “Everything she does is contagious. She’s a hard worker and certainly deserves it. I can’t wait to see her continue to flourish.”
During her junior year, Tarrant hit .371 with 26 hits and 16 runs batted in and 12 doubles and had a .488 on base percentage for the Lady Bulldogs.
Long and the Lady Tigers open their 2011 softball season at the Northwest-Shoals (Ala.) Patriot Bash on Friday, February 11 against defending National Junior College Athletic Association’s (NJCAA) Division II national champion Muskegon (Mich.) Community College at 10 a.m
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...