School Boards Recognition Week
The Union County School District and the New Albany School District will join districts across the state to thank school board members during School Board Member Recognition Week, Feb. 13-19, for their leadership and service to local school districts and communities.
“This week is our opportunity to say thank you to our school boards for their dedication to our children and communities,” said Ken Basil, Union County School District superintendent.
More than 750 Mississippians are members of local school boards. The board members who serve on the Union County School District and the New Albany School boards are responsible for setting the vision and goals for their districts. They work to provide a quality education for K-12 students while closely monitoring each district’s annual budget. Each school board also hires quality educators, sets district goals, adopts policies and evaluates progress while keeping the interest of the students first.
“As elected school leaders, board members play an important role in our representative government, guaranteeing local control of our public schools. I am very grateful for the outstanding leadership of our school board,” said Dr. Charles Garrett, New Albany City Schools superintendent.
During School Board Recognition Week in Mississippi, the Union County School District and the New Albany City School District invites students, staff and community members to take part in honoring its school board members to show their appreciation for the outstanding job each board member does in ensuring that a quality education is available for all students.
Charles E. Garrett
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...