School Boards Recognition Week
The Union County School District and the New Albany School District will join districts across the state to thank school board members during School Board Member Recognition Week, Feb. 13-19, for their leadership and service to local school districts and communities.
“This week is our opportunity to say thank you to our school boards for their dedication to our children and communities,” said Ken Basil, Union County School District superintendent.
More than 750 Mississippians are members of local school boards. The board members who serve on the Union County School District and the New Albany School boards are responsible for setting the vision and goals for their districts. They work to provide a quality education for K-12 students while closely monitoring each district’s annual budget. Each school board also hires quality educators, sets district goals, adopts policies and evaluates progress while keeping the interest of the students first.
“As elected school leaders, board members play an important role in our representative government, guaranteeing local control of our public schools. I am very grateful for the outstanding leadership of our school board,” said Dr. Charles Garrett, New Albany City Schools superintendent.
During School Board Recognition Week in Mississippi, the Union County School District and the New Albany City School District invites students, staff and community members to take part in honoring its school board members to show their appreciation for the outstanding job each board member does in ensuring that a quality education is available for all students.
Charles E. Garrett
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...