School Boards Recognition Week
The Union County School District and the New Albany School District will join districts across the state to thank school board members during School Board Member Recognition Week, Feb. 13-19, for their leadership and service to local school districts and communities.
“This week is our opportunity to say thank you to our school boards for their dedication to our children and communities,” said Ken Basil, Union County School District superintendent.
More than 750 Mississippians are members of local school boards. The board members who serve on the Union County School District and the New Albany School boards are responsible for setting the vision and goals for their districts. They work to provide a quality education for K-12 students while closely monitoring each district’s annual budget. Each school board also hires quality educators, sets district goals, adopts policies and evaluates progress while keeping the interest of the students first.
“As elected school leaders, board members play an important role in our representative government, guaranteeing local control of our public schools. I am very grateful for the outstanding leadership of our school board,” said Dr. Charles Garrett, New Albany City Schools superintendent.
During School Board Recognition Week in Mississippi, the Union County School District and the New Albany City School District invites students, staff and community members to take part in honoring its school board members to show their appreciation for the outstanding job each board member does in ensuring that a quality education is available for all students.
Charles E. Garrett
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...