New Albany fire chief submits resignation
Jeff Hale has resigned effective Monday, Feb. 21, as fire chief of the city of New Albany.
Mayor Tim Kent said Hale left a letter on his desk Wednesday, Feb. 16, saying he was going to retire. The mayor said he had not talked to Hale about his decision.
With more than 25 years of experience as a firefighter, Hale can retire under the state retirement system, Kent said. He has worked in New Albany since July 2008. Before that he worked 23 years with the Southaven Fire Department.
Kent said Hale’s family moved to New Albany for a while, but moved back to Southaven where they owned a house last August.
The mayor said the city requires the fire chief to live in the city, and the Board of Aldermen was not happy with Hale commuting to Southaven.
At one time the city discovered that Hale was driving a city pickup back and forth to Southaven and he was asked to leave the truck in the city and drive his personal car, the mayor said.
Ken said the department does not have a deputy chief and he expects to supervise he shift captains until the board can discuss a process for replacing the chief.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...