NA searches for coach replacement
The New Albany School District has begun a search to replace former New Albany High School boys’ soccer coach and 10th grade history teacher Taylor Nichols.
Nichols, 25, who pleaded guilty Thursday to a charge of touching a child for lustful purposes while occupying a position of trust, submitted his letter of resignation to the school board at the end of last week.
New Albany School District Superintendent Charles Garrett said Monday that the board met Friday and accepted Nichols’ resignation and that arrangements had already been made for a replacement teacher in the history class.
“[New Albany High School] Principal Lance Evans has a licensed substitute in place,” Garrett said.
Garrett went on to say that the teaching position has been opened to applicants within the district first and then to teachers outside the district. He said that applications are currently being accepted and interviews would begin soon.
Nichols was first hired as the boys’ soccer coach in June of 2008. He has also served as assistant coach for the girls’ soccer team and as cross country coach.
According to Mississippi’s 3rd District Attorney Ben Creekmore, Nichols was sentenced to 15 years in prison and five years probation. Because he pleaded guilty to the charge, however, the 15 years in prison was suspended.
Nichols has also been required to register as a sex offender and avoid contact with or identification of the student involved.
He was arrested last Sunday after being accused of kissing a female student at the high school.
The incident was reported to the district attorney’s office by a community member, Creekmore said.
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...