Tigers baseball opens season on losing side
Northeast Mississippi Community College baseball team found the opening to the 2011 season unkind to the Tigers.
Calhoun (Ala.) Community College captured a pair from the Tigers in Northeast’s season and home openers at Harold T. White Field in Booneville on Tuesday, February 15.
Calhoun came away with a 7-6 heartbreaker in the season opener for the Tigers and walked away with the sweep with an 8-3 decision in the nightcap.
In the opener, Northeast carried a 6-4 lead into Calhoun’s final at bat only to see the Warhawks scamper three runs across in the top of the seventh in taking a 7-6 advantage.
T. J. Eifert provided the winning digit for Calhoun when the Calhoun hitter connected on a two-out, two-strike, two-RBI single chasing home the Warhawks’ sixth and seventh runs of the contest.
Northeast jumped out on Calhoun 3-0 after the first thanks to a sacrifice fly to left by Jordan Gurley and a two-RBI single by Corey Smith that chased home Trae Allison and courtesy runner Stuart York.
Northeast had to battle back late in the contest after Calhoun captured a 4-3 advantage on the homestanding Tigers but a run in the fifth tied the game at 4-all and the Tigers took a 6-4 lead into the seventh with two runs in the sixth.
In the nightcap, Calhoun found its offense while the Tiger bats went cold. Calhounpitchers limited the Tigers to just four hits in the second game while pounding out in even dozen and jumping out to a 6-1 lead after three.
Northeast tried to make a game out of it late as the Tigers rallied for a pair of runs in their final at bat cutting the Calhoun 8-1 lead down to 8-3 in the end.
In the doubleheader, Northeast sophomore catcher Will Wallis banged out four hits of the Tiger 13 base knocks. Wallis finished the first game with three singles while the sophomore collected one of two Tiger doubles in the second game.
Northeast looks to get back on track when the Tigers travel to Hanceville, Ala., in arare Sunday affair to take on Wallace State on Sunday, February 20.
First pitch for the doubleheader is set for 1 p.m.
Northeast returns to Harold T. White Field on Thursday, February 24 when the Tigers take on Wallace State-Hanceville at noon.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...