Myrtle students learn tips for having a healthy heart
Crystal McBrayer, Community and Occupational Health Coordinator for Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, has traveled to many schools in the city and county this month educating students about the importance of heart health.
On Wednesday, Feb. 23, McBrayer went to Myrtle Attendance Center and talked to third grade students from Jessica Waits’ class and from Mellissa Kitchens’ class.
McBrayer taught the students the location of the heart, how many times it pumps a day, which is 100,000, that the heart pumps blood but also has to have oxygen, is a muscle, and that the human body has veins, arteries, and capillaries that help with blood flow that the heart pumps throughout the body.
Using a cow’s heart and a pig’s heart, McBrayer gave the students a chance to touch the hearts for themselves.
She also shared several tips with the students on how to keep their hearts healthy.
McBrayer told the students that persons should not ever get into the habit of smoking cigarettes, eat healthy by including fruits and vegetables in the dirt and no greasy or fried foods, exercise between 30 and 60 minutes a day, sleep at least 12 hours a day, and don’t add more salt to food.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...