Myrtle students learn tips for having a healthy heart
Crystal McBrayer, Community and Occupational Health Coordinator for Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, has traveled to many schools in the city and county this month educating students about the importance of heart health.
On Wednesday, Feb. 23, McBrayer went to Myrtle Attendance Center and talked to third grade students from Jessica Waits’ class and from Mellissa Kitchens’ class.
McBrayer taught the students the location of the heart, how many times it pumps a day, which is 100,000, that the heart pumps blood but also has to have oxygen, is a muscle, and that the human body has veins, arteries, and capillaries that help with blood flow that the heart pumps throughout the body.
Using a cow’s heart and a pig’s heart, McBrayer gave the students a chance to touch the hearts for themselves.
She also shared several tips with the students on how to keep their hearts healthy.
McBrayer told the students that persons should not ever get into the habit of smoking cigarettes, eat healthy by including fruits and vegetables in the dirt and no greasy or fried foods, exercise between 30 and 60 minutes a day, sleep at least 12 hours a day, and don’t add more salt to food.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...