NAHS News, February 25, 2011
By Eli Tate
The NA Basketball girls defeated Pontotoc last Saturday to become North Half Champs and will play in Jackson next Monday at 1 p.m. unfortunately the boys were beaten Saturday by the Rosa Fort Lions but will still play in Jackson next Monday at 8 p.m.
Baseball season begins this Saturday where the Dawgs will be traveling to Booneville for the Booneville Classic. The Dawgs will face off with Baldwyn at 2:30 p.m. and Booneville at 4:30 p.m. Our fast pitch softball team will also be playing this Saturday against Southaven. Varsity will begin at 11 and Junior Varsity at 12:30 p.m. The tennis team will take part in the Lafayette Doubles Classic this Saturday as well.
Last week the men’s power lifting team won their first division title in the sports history at New Albany. Three lifters earned first place finishes: Jerrell Howell lifted a total of 860 lbs for the 132 weight class, Zach Hand 1,245 lbs in class 198 and Wade Simmons won the 308 (+) with a total of 1,465 lbs. 5 more Bulldogs earned second place finishes: Brandon Holt in class 114 with 475 lbs, Reggie Webb in the 148 class with 1,040 lbs, O.J. Hardin in the 198 class with 1,175 lbs, Luke Foley in class 242 with 1,345 lbs, and Collin Stubblefield with 1,170 lbs. in class 308. Others who competed were Cade Simons who finished third in the 275 weight class with 1,245 lbs, Josh Creekmore and Shane Smith both finished fourth, Creekmore with 1,045 lbs in the 165 weight class and Smith with 1,075 lbs in the 181 weight class.
New Albany High School will be taking a trip to Spain with EF Educational Tours March 10 to 17. Five adults and ten students will be going on the trip. The NAHS students going include: Kristen Cochran, Roderick Erby, Emanuel Jones, Taylor McCreight, Cierra Peak, Silecia Preston, Bramlitt Robbins, Wesley Robbins, John Wise, and Jonah Zahller. On the tour, students will spend three days in Barcelona where they will take a walking tour of the city, visit the unfinished Sagrada Familia cathedral, take a guided tour of Parque Guell (a World Heritage Site designed by Antoni Gaudí), attend a pottery workshop, and visit La Pedrera, a famous apartment complex designed by Gaudí. On day 5, students will travel to Madrid with a lunch stop in Zaragoza. Students will then spend 2 ½ days in Madrid where they will take a guided tour of the city, tour the Palacio Real (Royal Palace), attend flamenco lessons and a show, and visit the Prado Museum. Good luck and safe travels to this group!
Remember to check out our school website www.nahighschool.com to see our new videos. Check each week to see more stories!
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...