National Weather Service to issue state-wide test tornado warning Wednesday
The National Weather Service will issue a statewide test tornado warning on NOAA weather radios only on the morning of Feb. 23. Schools, government agencies and businesses throughout the state are encouraged to participate in the annual tornado drill.
“As we saw with our deadly outbreak of severe weather in Mississippi last spring being prepared now could help save lives when severe weather threatens our state,” said Mississippi Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Womack. “Taking some simple steps now like have an emergency supply kit and knowing where you and your family will take shelter during a weather event will help keep everybody safe.”
The most effective preparedness tool a citizen can own is a National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration weather radio, Womack said. National Weather Service offices throughout the country broadcast local weather information 24 hours a day. The NOAA weather radio sounds an alarm when local severe weather watches and warnings are issued. NOAA weather radios sell for approximately $30 to $70 at many local retailers. Warnings may also be received by using a receiver which gets warnings by using the Radio Broadcast Data System which is broadcast on the data subcarrier of FM radio stations. Mississippi has near complete coverage using this system. For more on how to get a RBDS receiver go to www.alertfm.com.
“As technology continues to advance we are better able to issue watches and warnings further out during a severe weather event,” said Jackson NWS Meteorologist in Charge Alan Gerard. “But residents must have a reliable way to receiving those warnings for these advances in technology to be effective. That means not only having a weather radio in your home but also monitoring local media and checking local forecasts year round to ensure you are aware of any storms that might move through the state.”
Local weather information and alerts for northern counties can visit www.srh.noaa.meg.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...