Eagles capture first boys’ bowling championship
Barbara White has spent several years coaching the West Union bowling teams, with the girls picking up a state title in 2008, and the boys falling shy in two of the four years they have participated. The Eagles added to their success in the sport, claiming the first boys’ title, defeating defending champion East Union in Baker Style at the state championships last Friday.
“We felt after North Half that it would come down to the two of us in the finals, and it’s a friendly rivalry, so it was great that it turned out that way,” White said.
“These kids have worked together, practicing in New Albany, and it’s a friendly rivalry. No matter who wins, they’re always cheering for one another.”
The Eagles bowled games of 831, 782, 888 and 847 for total of 3348 to make it to the Baker Style championship against the Urchins. In that round, the Eagles swept East Union, 3-0, to take the championship.
Dalton Baggett bowled both the high game and high series for West Union, with scores of 233 and 857 respectively.
After winning the North Half title a week earlier, the Lady Eagles fell short in their title run, as Pisgah defeated West Union, 3-2 in Baker Style.
Callie Baggett recorded the high game of 193, and Jessica Clark bowled a high series of 617, as the Lady Eagles had game scores of 635, 651, 624 and 735 for total of 2645 to make it to the Baker Style round.
“It was disappointing, but they did a great job of putting themselves in position all day to make it to the Baker Style,” White said. “There were just a couple little things that could have helped us get first, but overall, I have no complaints. All of the kids performed great.”
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...