Hurricane News, March 2, 2011
High winds and rain during the past week left some homes in the Cane Creek neighborhood without electricity and minor damage on Feb. 24-5. One storm cellar lost its roof in the neighborhood during this storm. The community name was once Esperanza. Due to a severe storm, it was changed to Hurricane. There is a community storm shelter located behind the fire department.
Bro. Jason Kendrick will be the guest preacher at Hurricane Baptist Church on Sunday, March 6. There will be a note burning ceremony as the new church building fund became debt-free at the end of February 2011. A fellowship meal will be held following the morning worship service. Bro. Philip Brock is pastor. On Tuesday, March 8, the Senior Saints lunch bunch will have their outing.
Birthday wishes to Greg Graham, Beth Berryhill, Lyn Spears, and to Verline Stepp.
Get well wishes to James Caples, Bro. Winston Ross, Reba Graham, Glenda Hale, and Mary Ross of Shady Grove.
Don and Freida Browning enjoyed a Sunday afternoon visit with Emily Browning in Germantown, Tennessee.
Belated birthday wishes to Mary Graham of Turnpike for Feb. 23.
The youth at Shady Grove Baptist Church held their annual fund-raiser for their summer trip on Feb. 26. Bro. David Barnett is pastor.
I enjoyed a visit last week with M.P. and Betsy Jarrett at their home in Lone Star. The gardening season is upon us, and they are genuinely master gardeners as they share their produce each year with family and neighbors. I don’t have to consult an almanac as I can just call them for advice.
Anniversary wishes to Larry and Annette(Rutledge)Smith who will celebrate thirty years this week.
Sympathy is extended to the family of Lois(Graham)Holland(81) of Denver City, Texas. Lois was the daughter of the late Carl and Thressa Graham of Gorman, Texas. Her grandparents, the late Lige and Dora(Simmons)Graham were native Pontotoc Countians.
Her father, Carl Graham, was one of the founders of the Warren-Graham Family Reunion that has been rotated since 1970 with Texas relatives. Prior to that time, it was held in Texas.
Senior Class Officers for 1961-Jimmy Russell, President; Ryland Sneed, Vice-President; Delores Russell Mason, Secretary; and Darrell Russell, Treasurer.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...