Support our events
Too often we hear people suggest that there is not enough to do in New Albany. We suppose that depends on how active a person or family you have, but mostly we don’t subscribe to that view.
What we do believe, though, is that to keep the events we have and to increase their number, we need to support them with our attendance.
One of those opportunities to show support is coming up Sunday, March 27. The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra will be in New Albany for a 2 p.m. concert. This year the symphony will perform a concert version of John Phillip Sousa’s “El Capitan.”
This will be the third time that the symphony has come to New Albany. The first year, the performance at the Magnolia Civic Center attracted about 330 people, according to Phil Nanney at the Union County Development Association. Attendance last year was down, with an estimate of about 250.
This year the concert was moved to the New Albany High School auditorium because the 60-piece symphony will be joined by an 80-voice chorus from Mississippi State University. A bigger stage than available at the civic center is required.
A bigger stage also means more seats. Nearly 1,000 people can be accommodated at the high school and a crowd similar is size to last year will look really sparse.
You can help solve the problem by supporting this event. Tickets are $10 for general admission or $15 for reserved seats at the development association office on Bankhead Street.
Having the symphony on our annual cultural and entertainment calendar is important. Let’s do our part to keep it there.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series