Protect our health
Despite clear and conclusive evidence that second-hand smoke is killing people, the Mississippi Legislature again has failed to pass a bill prohibiting smoking in public places.
The legislation died in the House Public Health Committee (obviously a misnamed committee) after the chairman, Steve Holland, a Plantersville Democrat, said he could not muster enough votes to get it out of committee.
The bill, which originally would have banned smoking in most public places, including restaurants, bars and stores, already had been gutted in the state Senate to only apply to government buildings. Smoking generally is not permitted public buildings now.
The defeat was a setback for Smokefree Air Mississippi, a partnership of the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, the American Heart Association and the Partnership for a Healthy Mississippi.
It’s also a slap at the citizens of Mississippi who overwhelmingly favored the proposal, according to a survey taken by Mississippi State University’s Social Science Research Center. The survey showed the proposal was supported by 78 percent of the populace.
Much of the opposition to the bill came from the Mississippi Hospitality and Restaurant Association, even though most restaurants in the state already prohibit smoking.
It also was heavily opposed by the casino industry. We guess the premise is that if you can’t smoke, you won’t gamble.
Thirty-seven municipalities in the state ban smoking in public places. The city of New Albany needs to join them in taking better care of our citizens’ health than the state politicians have.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...