NA Lady Bulldogs
The New Albany Lady Bulldogs basketball team has made our community proud, winning the state championship in Class 4A Friday night in Jackson.
The veteran team with four senior starters and Jazmine Spears, named most valuable player in the championship game, brought home the first state championship in the sport since 2002.
In addition to the New Albany girls, the New Albany boys and Myrtle boys teams deserve kudos for reaching the state semi-finals.
The Lady Bulldogs finished the season without a loss to a Mississippi team. New Albany lost four games, all to national-level competitors from Texas, Missouri, Tennessee and Alabama.
Winning the state title is a tribute not only to the hard work of the team, but also to the quality coaching of head coach John Stroud and assistant Alicia Pickens.
Stroud takes time away from his job as owner of a local insurance agency to coach the girls’ team. He’s not a newcomer to state championships; he coached the New Albany boys’ team to the title 25 years ago.
Congratulations to our area teams and their fine showing in the state tournament.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...