The United Way campaign results for Union County were released this week and they were a bit disappointing.
Even though giving was up in total in the seven-county campaign area of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi, the money available from Union County contributions actually decreased slightly.
The Union County allocations committee was able to allocate $91,250 for agencies that benefit Union Countians, down $300 from the prior year.
We had expected charity giving in the county would increase, as it did last year.
The prior year allocation was only $62,198.
The largest benefactors of Union County giving for this year are the Boys and Girls Clubs with $20,000, the Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven School with $11,000, and the Salvation Army with $7,000.
Twenty-one other agencies that help Union Countians in need received the rest.
We support the allocations committee’s decision to reduce the American Red Cross amount to $4,000 this year, from $8,000 last year, after the Red Cross reduced its local presence in New Albany. The county now is served by a regional office in Tupelo.
We continue to be concerned that many of the employers and businesses in our community do not take part in the campaign and do not allow solicitation of their employees by the community’s major charity organization.
Until that is rectified, it is doubtful that charitable giving to the United Way will increase dramatically.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...