The United Way campaign results for Union County were released this week and they were a bit disappointing.
Even though giving was up in total in the seven-county campaign area of the United Way of Northeast Mississippi, the money available from Union County contributions actually decreased slightly.
The Union County allocations committee was able to allocate $91,250 for agencies that benefit Union Countians, down $300 from the prior year.
We had expected charity giving in the county would increase, as it did last year.
The prior year allocation was only $62,198.
The largest benefactors of Union County giving for this year are the Boys and Girls Clubs with $20,000, the Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $16,000, the New Haven School with $11,000, and the Salvation Army with $7,000.
Twenty-one other agencies that help Union Countians in need received the rest.
We support the allocations committee’s decision to reduce the American Red Cross amount to $4,000 this year, from $8,000 last year, after the Red Cross reduced its local presence in New Albany. The county now is served by a regional office in Tupelo.
We continue to be concerned that many of the employers and businesses in our community do not take part in the campaign and do not allow solicitation of their employees by the community’s major charity organization.
Until that is rectified, it is doubtful that charitable giving to the United Way will increase dramatically.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...