Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Week
In recognition of March as Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Month, I would like to take the opportunity to encourage all Mississippians to learn more about intellectual and developmental disabilities. These terms cover a broad range of often misunderstood characteristics.
An intellectual disability is characterized by limitations in intellectual functioning and difficulties in a variety of everyday social and practical skills. A developmental disability is attributed to a cognitive or physical impairment that results in limitations in area such as self-care, language, and mobility.
Together, we are supporting a better tomorrow for individuals with an intellectual or developmental disability by enhancing the public’s knowledge of individuals with IDD and how they are members of communities throughout our state. More than 41,000 fellow Mississippians are affected by an intellectual or developmental disability such as mental retardation, Cerebral Palsey, Down’s syndrome, etc.
DMH is partnering with groups in Mississippi to host the annual “IDD Day at the Capitol” on March 22 in order to enhance the public’s knowledge and awareness of individuals with IDD and how they actively participate in their communities. With the support of our partners, such as families, self-advocates and service providers, we look forward to a better tomorrow for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Edwin C. LeGrand III
Miss. Department of Mental Health
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...