Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Week
In recognition of March as Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Month, I would like to take the opportunity to encourage all Mississippians to learn more about intellectual and developmental disabilities. These terms cover a broad range of often misunderstood characteristics.
An intellectual disability is characterized by limitations in intellectual functioning and difficulties in a variety of everyday social and practical skills. A developmental disability is attributed to a cognitive or physical impairment that results in limitations in area such as self-care, language, and mobility.
Together, we are supporting a better tomorrow for individuals with an intellectual or developmental disability by enhancing the public’s knowledge of individuals with IDD and how they are members of communities throughout our state. More than 41,000 fellow Mississippians are affected by an intellectual or developmental disability such as mental retardation, Cerebral Palsey, Down’s syndrome, etc.
DMH is partnering with groups in Mississippi to host the annual “IDD Day at the Capitol” on March 22 in order to enhance the public’s knowledge and awareness of individuals with IDD and how they actively participate in their communities. With the support of our partners, such as families, self-advocates and service providers, we look forward to a better tomorrow for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Edwin C. LeGrand III
Miss. Department of Mental Health
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...