Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Week
In recognition of March as Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Month, I would like to take the opportunity to encourage all Mississippians to learn more about intellectual and developmental disabilities. These terms cover a broad range of often misunderstood characteristics.
An intellectual disability is characterized by limitations in intellectual functioning and difficulties in a variety of everyday social and practical skills. A developmental disability is attributed to a cognitive or physical impairment that results in limitations in area such as self-care, language, and mobility.
Together, we are supporting a better tomorrow for individuals with an intellectual or developmental disability by enhancing the public’s knowledge of individuals with IDD and how they are members of communities throughout our state. More than 41,000 fellow Mississippians are affected by an intellectual or developmental disability such as mental retardation, Cerebral Palsey, Down’s syndrome, etc.
DMH is partnering with groups in Mississippi to host the annual “IDD Day at the Capitol” on March 22 in order to enhance the public’s knowledge and awareness of individuals with IDD and how they actively participate in their communities. With the support of our partners, such as families, self-advocates and service providers, we look forward to a better tomorrow for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Edwin C. LeGrand III
Miss. Department of Mental Health
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series