Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Week
In recognition of March as Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Month, I would like to take the opportunity to encourage all Mississippians to learn more about intellectual and developmental disabilities. These terms cover a broad range of often misunderstood characteristics.
An intellectual disability is characterized by limitations in intellectual functioning and difficulties in a variety of everyday social and practical skills. A developmental disability is attributed to a cognitive or physical impairment that results in limitations in area such as self-care, language, and mobility.
Together, we are supporting a better tomorrow for individuals with an intellectual or developmental disability by enhancing the public’s knowledge of individuals with IDD and how they are members of communities throughout our state. More than 41,000 fellow Mississippians are affected by an intellectual or developmental disability such as mental retardation, Cerebral Palsey, Down’s syndrome, etc.
DMH is partnering with groups in Mississippi to host the annual “IDD Day at the Capitol” on March 22 in order to enhance the public’s knowledge and awareness of individuals with IDD and how they actively participate in their communities. With the support of our partners, such as families, self-advocates and service providers, we look forward to a better tomorrow for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Edwin C. LeGrand III
Miss. Department of Mental Health
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...