Liberty School News, March 4, 2011
Lil Grisham welcomed the thirty-four attendees to the Feb. 15 meeting of Liberty School. E.M. “Boots” Herring gave the invocation and blessing prior to the covered-dish dinner.
In the business session Stephen Fitzgerald gave the financial report in the absence of Joyce Fitzgerald, treasurer. Joanne Gaines read minutes from the January meeting. Ms. Grisham stated that a thank-you card had been received from Greta Wilson for the Christmas fruit basket that was given from the school to her mother, Ruby Harris Tyer. Virgil Herring received “Best Caregiver of the Year” for Pontotoc County (his wife, Frances, has been bedridden for an extended period of time).
The Southern Comfort band provided the evening entertainment. Member of the band are: Roy Caldwell, guitar and vocal; Larry Dunahoo, drums; Billy Fooshee, guitar and vocal: Lee Hunt, lead guitar; Herschel McMillen, guitar and vocal: Joe Young, Bass. Included in their program were: “Old Flame,” “If I Could Go Back to 1949,” “Holding Thing Together,” “Since You’ve Gone,” “White Sports Coat and a Pink Carnation,” “Walk Through this World with Me,” “You Are My Sunshine” (with audience participation), “Long Black Train,” “Go Rest High On That Mountain,” and a medley of “I’ll Fly Away,” “Will The Circle Be Unbroken,” “Satisfied.” Thank you, Southern Comfort, for your faithfulness in providing entertainment for the school meetings.
Feb. birthdays are: Marie Fitzgerald Bayless, Lorene Cox Belyeu (97), Ruby Lee Caldwell Dunlap (95), Joyce Dunlap Fitzgerald, Roy Garrett of Illinois, Frances Fitts Henry, Charlie “Hummie” Huffstatler, Libby Russell Savely (91). Charles and Jewel Gaines of Flora celebrated their 57th wedding anniversary in Feb.
Get-well wishes to: Joey Black, Billie Ruth Buskirk, Eddie Chandler, Joyce Fitzgerald, Betty Haynes, Frances and Virgil Herring, Terry Rodgers. Sympathy is extended to the family of Virgie Stout Grisham of West Memphis, Arkansas. Charlie Sappington led in a prayer remember the sick and bereaved.
Visitors for the evening were: Marie Butler of Myrtle, Wanda Hunt of New Albany, Cody, Katie and Destiny Hester of Ingomar.
The March meeting and covered-dish dinner will be held March 15 beginning at 6 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...