Bulldogs win Saturday contests
New Albany bounced back from a disappointing Friday night loss to Tupelo, defeating Hernando and West Union on Saturday.
In the ‘Dawgs game against the Tigers, Josh Creekmore and Riley Alef each had two hits in the 3-2 win. In the third inning with runners on second and third, Andrew Ballard brought in the Bulldogs’ first run to tie the game at one and New Albany scored twice in the fifth to take the lead.
Tyler Basil earned the win on the mound, allowing two runs off six hits with six strikeouts. Drew Wray had the save, pitching the final inning.
In the Bulldogs’ game against West Union, an eight-run second inning led New Albany to a 22-5 win. Several players had multiple hits for the ‘Dawgs, with James David Morris and Joshua Googe leading with four and three hits, respectively. Wray, Ballard and Goode each had two hits, and Mason Maxey picked up the win on the mound, allowing five runs off eight hits with four strikeouts.
The successful weekend came after New Albany dropped a tough 2-1 decision to Tupelo Friday night. Tyler Beaty allowed only two hits against the Golden Wave while registering 16 strikeouts. Beaty also had the Bulldogs’ only hit in the game.
New Albany (5-2) will next play on Monday against Senatobia at the Oxford Spring Break Tournament.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...