Myrtle earns extra-inning win over Pine Grove
The Hawks took Pine Grove to extra innings to earn their first win of the season Friday night.
Myrtle had runners on the corners with no outs in the eighth, and a miscue from catcher to third base brought Sid Beasley home to give the Hawks the 7-6 win.
The Panthers held the advantage for a majority of the game before the Hawks took the lead with a four-run sixth inning, 6-4. Adam Baker and Austin Floyd each walked, and with one out and Beasley loaded the bases with his single. Zack Pickens had a sacrifice play, and Moody and Anthony Lipsey scored runners on a single and error respectively, giving the Hawks the 5-4 lead. Moody rounded out the scoring, stealing home.
The Panthers responded with a two-run seventh inning after Russ Yates replaced Justin Perkins on the mound. Austin Hopper opened with a leadoff single and scored on a double by Jimmy Spires. Spires tied the game, scoring later in the inning.
Spires led the Panthers with three hits, two of which were doubles. Andrew Hopper and Blake West also had multiple hits for Pine Grove.
The Hawks were led at the plate by Yates, Baker, Floyd, Beasley and Moody, who each had two hits.
Pickens pitched six innings, giving up four runs off eight hits with six strikeouts. Yates allowed two runs off three hits and Floyd closed the game with one hit and three strikeouts in the eighth.
The Hawks will be in action next weekend in the Union County Tournament at West Union.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday