Myrtle earns extra-inning win over Pine Grove
The Hawks took Pine Grove to extra innings to earn their first win of the season Friday night.
Myrtle had runners on the corners with no outs in the eighth, and a miscue from catcher to third base brought Sid Beasley home to give the Hawks the 7-6 win.
The Panthers held the advantage for a majority of the game before the Hawks took the lead with a four-run sixth inning, 6-4. Adam Baker and Austin Floyd each walked, and with one out and Beasley loaded the bases with his single. Zack Pickens had a sacrifice play, and Moody and Anthony Lipsey scored runners on a single and error respectively, giving the Hawks the 5-4 lead. Moody rounded out the scoring, stealing home.
The Panthers responded with a two-run seventh inning after Russ Yates replaced Justin Perkins on the mound. Austin Hopper opened with a leadoff single and scored on a double by Jimmy Spires. Spires tied the game, scoring later in the inning.
Spires led the Panthers with three hits, two of which were doubles. Andrew Hopper and Blake West also had multiple hits for Pine Grove.
The Hawks were led at the plate by Yates, Baker, Floyd, Beasley and Moody, who each had two hits.
Pickens pitched six innings, giving up four runs off eight hits with six strikeouts. Yates allowed two runs off three hits and Floyd closed the game with one hit and three strikeouts in the eighth.
The Hawks will be in action next weekend in the Union County Tournament at West Union.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...