Curb appeal important
The importance of making a good first impression as a community cannot be overstated. Curb appeal is as important, or more so, in selling a community as in selling a house.
It doesn’t matter whether we are trying to attract a major manufacturer or a retired couple to our community. The recruitment principle is the same.
Whit Hughes, deputy director of the Mississippi Development Authority, was in town last week and he stressed that a community needs to think of itself as a product competing against other communities.
And he said is up to the community’s leaders to develop a “product” that is as good as or better than other communities.
Everything from the curb appeal of the community and its entrances to the quality of its internet site is important to make the initial cut for a company looking for a location for a manufacturing plant or business, he said.
Hughes said New Albany and Union County needs a game plan on the shelf for a spur of the moment walk-in visit by a corporate executive.
Everyone should know what to say and what not to say, he added.
He suggested that people who have lived all their lives in a community sometimes overlook things that are troubling to first-time visitors or prospective economic developers.
We think Hughes makes excellent points. We question how well prepared we are with an “instant game plan” and whether we are paying enough attention to sprucing up the community’s curb appeal.
Little things do make a difference, and we need to be sure we’re doing our best with the details.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series