New Albany cheerleading adopts squad changes
Creating a more competitive squad and reaching their ultimate goal of UCA Nationals paved the way for changes to the New Albany cheerleading squad starting next school year.
The school recently held tryouts for next year’s squad, with 24 making the cut. From that group, they will have the option of acting just as a cheerleader or taking part in the competitive squad, which will work toward state and national competitions.
“We’re looking at cheerleading as more of a sport, so by doing this, we’ll give the girls the option of either making the competitive squad their sport or allowing them to still be a cheerleader, but they can focus on basketball, soccer or whatever other sport they participate in,” NAHS Cheer Coach Mary Beth Muncie said.
With the competitive squad, New Albany will evaluate the number each year to determine if they will compete in the small varsity (16 girls and under) or the large varsity (over 16 girls) division. Next school year will be a trial run for the new setup, and the school will start working toward national competitions beginning in the 2012-2013 school year.
“Our main goal, first, is to work toward a state championship,” Muncie said. “Ultimately we want to be at the level to win both state and national titles in the future, but we’re going to see how we do with the new format next year.”
New Albany finished fourth in 4A in the 2010 state championships, and with the new format, hope to see even better results in the future.
The selection process for next year’s squad maintained the same standards, and the girls took part in a clinic as well as the tryout last Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...