UCT softball tournament: Day One
West Union is halfway to repeating as the fast pitch champions in Union County, opening the tournament with two Friday night wins.
Bailey Bogue went 3-for-4 on the day with a double, triple and home run, leading the Lady Eagles to a 4-2 win over Myrtle and 2-0 win over East Union.
Against the Lady Hawks, Bogue’s triple came with two outs and no runners on base. A Myrtle error scored Bogue, but the Lady Hawks quickly rebounded, scoring two runs off a hit by Jenna Jordan and a West Union error.
Down 2-1 in the third inning, two hits and an error gave the Lady Eagles the lead once more and Bogue’s double with runners on first and second brought in another run.
In the final game of the inning, the Lady Eagles only had four hits, but behind the pitching of Danielle Taylor, defeated East Union.
With no score in the bottom of the third, Julianna Garner reached base off an error and was later scored by Hannah McQuary. Bogue would later add an insurance run in the fourth with her lead off home run.
Danielle Taylor allowed only two hits, one in each game, while striking out 11 batters on the day.
East Union entered the game with the Lady Eagles at 1-0 after defeating Ingomar, 6-1 earlier in the evening.
The two teams were tied at one after the first before the Lady Urchins scored five unanswered, highlighted by a two-run shot by Rachel Elder in the fourth.
Allie Haynie led East Union with two hits, an RBI single in the first and a lead off double in the third while holding the Lady Falcons to one run off three hits and three strikeouts.
Ingomar finished the day with one win, coming from behind to defeat Myrtle, 6-5.
The Lady Falcons scored four runs in the second after a lead off double by Shelly Grisham. The senior was later plated on a sacrifice play by Morgan Kelly, and Hannah Russell also hit an RBI double in the frame.
Myrtle scored four runs over the next two innings to tie the game with Alie Bishop hitting two RBI singles, including one with bases loaded that tied the game.
After a lead off hit from Jenna Jordan, Kiana Judon gave the Lady Hawks the lead with her single and the Lady Hawks were three outs away from earning the win before Kate Webb opened the fifth inning with a solo home run to quickly tie the game. Amy Fooshee added a double and Lauren Koon scored Fooshee on her single. Erin Wall walked two Lady Hawks in the bottom portion of the frame, but Shelly Grisham contributed in a double play that ended the game.
Saturday’s second day of tournament action will start at 9 a.m. with Ingomar and New Albany, weather permitting. Check with Newalbanygazette.com or Twitter.com/ezaremba1618 throughout the day if there are any weather postponements or cancellations.
Standings after Day One
West Union 2-0
East Union 1-1
New Albany 0-0
Saturday’s schedule (weather permitting)
9 a.m. Ingomar vs. New Albany
10:15 Myrtle vs. New Albany
11:30 West Union vs. Ingomar
12:45 p.m. East Union vs. Myrtle
2:00 East Union vs. New Albany
3:15 West Union vs. New Albany
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series