The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra, backed by a chorus from Mississippi State University put on a first-class performance Sunday in the New Albany High School Auditorium.
The music, John Philip Sousa’s “El Capitan,” and the accompanying vocals were lively and entertaining, even for those who are not students of orchestral music. In short, it was a treat for our community to have an event of this caliber. About 250 people attended.
Unfortunately, the concert did not break even, which has prompted some to suggest that New Albany is not capable of sustaining a concert by the Tupelo Symphony. The symphony has performed here the last three years.
We are not one of them. Quality cultural events in our community should be a priority, just like festivals and sports tournaments.
It costs about $18,000 to have the symphony here. Obviously, ticket sales could never finance the bulk of the cost. This year $13,000 in revenue was generated, the bulk from donations. The largest were $2,500 from the Magnolia Civic Center, $2,500 from tourism funds and $1,000 from the UNITE charitable foundation.
We think the event has a better chance of getting additional money, including possible arts grants, if it were managed by the Tallahatchie Arts Council, not the Union County Development Association. We also think cultural events are more suited to the arts council’s mission.
We appreciate the hard work by the association and the steering committee that made it happen. We think the community – and the arts council – can build on that for an even more successful event next year.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...