Northeast baseball caps eventul eight-day trek
Northeast Mississippi Community College baseball team capped an eventful eight-day trek on Saturday, April 2.
Northeast completed its eight-day affair with a 4-3 record after falling on the short end of a sweep at Northwest Mississippi 7-2, 3-2.
Northeast (16-12, 5-5 in the North Division) started its push off 4-1 before falling to the Rangers in Senatobia.
Northeast earned a split with Holmes on Saturday, March 26 to begin a stretch of seven games in eight days for the Tigers.
After one game in Benton, Ark., against Arkansas Baptist College, the Tigers returned home to sweep Coahoma 4-2 and 6-5 in 10 innings.
Northeast could have played eight games during the eight-day stretch if the Tigers second game with Arkansas Baptist had not been rained out in the fourth inning.
On Saturday, Northeast watched as Northwest jumped out to early leads in both contests while the Tigers could only manage a pair of runs in both games.
In the opener, Northwest rallied for seven runs in its first four at bats including a three-run second inning before Northeast could break the shutout with a two-run fifth inning off a balk and a Drew Chisholm (Saltillo) RBI-fielder’s choice.
In the nightcap, Northwest got all the runs it would need in the first two innings – including a Dex Herrington solo blast in the first inning – in claiming the sweep.
Northwest added a pair of runs in the second off a couple of Tiger miscues in staking to a 3-0 lead before Seth George (Tishomingo County) and Drew Cristo (Booneville) came through for the Tigers in the fifth.
George delivered an RBI-ground out and Cristo followed with a two-out RBI-single that cut the lead to one.
However, that would be as close as the Tigers would come as Northwest sent Justin Rose and Jimmy Braswell to the mound to seal the win.
Northeast looks to get back on track in the North Division as the Tigers host East Mississippi Community College at Harold T. White Field in Booneville on Tuesday, April 5. First pitch of the North Division doubleheader is set for 1 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...