Northeast baseball caps eventul eight-day trek
Northeast Mississippi Community College baseball team capped an eventful eight-day trek on Saturday, April 2.
Northeast completed its eight-day affair with a 4-3 record after falling on the short end of a sweep at Northwest Mississippi 7-2, 3-2.
Northeast (16-12, 5-5 in the North Division) started its push off 4-1 before falling to the Rangers in Senatobia.
Northeast earned a split with Holmes on Saturday, March 26 to begin a stretch of seven games in eight days for the Tigers.
After one game in Benton, Ark., against Arkansas Baptist College, the Tigers returned home to sweep Coahoma 4-2 and 6-5 in 10 innings.
Northeast could have played eight games during the eight-day stretch if the Tigers second game with Arkansas Baptist had not been rained out in the fourth inning.
On Saturday, Northeast watched as Northwest jumped out to early leads in both contests while the Tigers could only manage a pair of runs in both games.
In the opener, Northwest rallied for seven runs in its first four at bats including a three-run second inning before Northeast could break the shutout with a two-run fifth inning off a balk and a Drew Chisholm (Saltillo) RBI-fielder’s choice.
In the nightcap, Northwest got all the runs it would need in the first two innings – including a Dex Herrington solo blast in the first inning – in claiming the sweep.
Northwest added a pair of runs in the second off a couple of Tiger miscues in staking to a 3-0 lead before Seth George (Tishomingo County) and Drew Cristo (Booneville) came through for the Tigers in the fifth.
George delivered an RBI-ground out and Cristo followed with a two-out RBI-single that cut the lead to one.
However, that would be as close as the Tigers would come as Northwest sent Justin Rose and Jimmy Braswell to the mound to seal the win.
Northeast looks to get back on track in the North Division as the Tigers host East Mississippi Community College at Harold T. White Field in Booneville on Tuesday, April 5. First pitch of the North Division doubleheader is set for 1 p.m.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert