Protecting our animals
The Mississippi Legislature finally has moved the state into step with most of the rest of the country on the issue of committing terrible abuses against dogs and cats.
How it could have taken this long is beyond comprehension. But it has.
According to The Human Society of the United States, Mississippi is one of only four states in the country that does not have a felony penalty for egregious acts of animal cruelty.
When the governor signs the bill, the list will be down to three. Unfortunately, the legislation is still weaker than that in most other states.
The first offense for various acts including intentionally torturing, maiming or burning a cat or dog would still be a misdemeanor with a fine of up to $2,500 and up to six months in jail. A second offense would be a felony, with up to a $5,000 fine, five years in prison or both.
In the past, the politically powerful Missouri Farm Bureau Federation and other groups had lobbied against the bill, but this year the groups agreed to the compromise second-offense plan.
We support making abuse of dogs and cats a felony on the first offense, but the compromise bill is certainly better than we have now.
Gov. Haley Barbour is expected to sign the legislation into law. Then next year the legislature should move ahead with making the first offense a felony.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...