Beer and sales flow
This week marked a year since the sale of beer and light wine became legal in New Albany.
Most of the people we’ve talked with say there has been a dramatic amount of beer sold in New Albany, bringing home sales revenue that had been going to other counties, mostly Lee County.
Most of those sales, though, are in cartons at gas stations, convenience stores, and at grocery and drug stores.
Only three or four restaurants are serving beer and light wine and the projected increase in restaurants in the community largely has yet to occur. That is attributable to the economy and the fact that most chain restaurants only locate in communities that permit wine and mixed drink sales.
Proponents of the ballot issue predicted arrests for alcohol related issues would decline with legalization. That has been true for illegal possession, open containers and public drunkenness as well as driving while intoxicated outside the city limits.
However, arrests in the city for DUI have gone up significantly, which city officials attribute to a federal grant that permitted hiring a full-time police officer for DUI enforcement.
In short, the only real change has been that money no longer is flowing out of our city to neighboring counties for beer and light wine. Instead the money is helping our businesses and our restaurants survive a tough economy.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert