Armory era ends
The news that the Mississippi Army National Guard intends to close the New Albany May 31 should come as no surprise to the community.
In reality, the armory, which is located near the county fairgrounds at 917 Fairgrounds Spur Road, has had little use for the last couple of years after the headquarters detachment unit was transferred to Tupelo. It was the former home of the 155th Armored Brigade.
The major event that has gone on there in the last couple of years is the annual packing and distribution of food and toys for the Gazette Sharing at Christmas holiday fundraising program.
The land always has belonged to the county, but it was leased to the national guard in January 1955 for a hundred years at $1 a year, according to Thad Mueller, county attorney. The guard wanted to end the lease, he said.
Many guard armories in small communities around the country are being closed and operations centralized to save money. It ends an era when the community armory often was a center for social events in the community.
As we understand it, the county is considering several possibilities to use the building, including relocation of the county emergency management office to the facility.
The building itself is in relatively decent shape, although it needs heating and air conditioning work. Both men’s and women’s restrooms were completely updated in the last several years.
We think the county will find many uses for the armory and it was a wise decision by the county to allow the national guard to end its lease and return the facility to the county.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Ignoring burn ban can cost you money September 29, 2016
- BNA Bank converting former bus station into new mortgage center September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...