Community set for 16th annual Frog-a-Nanny
Sixteen years ago, Kelly Coltharp had a dream of providing a fun event for the special needs children in New Albany. Working closely with these students in the school district, this is an area that has long touched her heart, and in 1995, Frog-a-Nanny began and still remains a staple in the community.
The latest installment of the event will take place on Friday at the Sportsplex and has grown to include a parade, 5K walk and fun run, picnic and, of course, the ball games.
“We have 82 participants this year, so this is the most we’ve ever had,” Coltharp said.
“There are also 400 volunteers from various clubs and from throughout the community who will be involved, so this looks to be one of the largest years we’ve had.”
The 5K run was added last year, and with the addition of the half mile fun run/walk, Coltharp hopes the even will draw even more participants.
And she’s also excited about this year’s t-shirts.
“They’re so cute,” she said. “We had so many that have already sold, but I ordered more to be sold the day of, and they’re a big hit this year, so I’m sure they’ll go fast.”
With the help of the community, this is an event that runs for practically no cost thanks to sponsors and generous donations.
“I’m so grateful for everything that the community has done to make this successful year after year,” Coltharp said.
Gearing up for year 16, Coltharp is quick recognize the ones who have made the biggest impact on this event.
“The kids who were buddies in 1995 that helped me start this event keep coming back,” she said. “This event has touched them in a way that’s life changing, and the kids involved will do that to you. They teach you to not take anything in life for granted and they can do anything in spite of their condition. They never give up and you leave with that same attitude. That’s truly why I believe this event keeps getting bigger and better every year.”
The 16th Annual Frog-a-Nanny will kick off at 6 p.m. on Friday with the parade of players, followed by the 5K run and half mile fun run/walk, and picnic.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...