Pit bull ordinance
The New Albany Board of Alderman has reached a reasonable compromise on the issue of banning pit bulls within the city limits.
The board had been asked by Jim Taylor, the city’s animal control officer, and by Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson to place a permanent ban on the breed.
We were opposed to that proposal for two reasons: First, because we don’t think the city should be telling individuals what kind of dog breed they can have, and, second, because the city already had charged pit bull owners a stiff registration fee.
We have argued that not all pit bulls are a problem, and that vicious dogs come in all shapes and sizes.
New Albany’s existing ordinance says dogs of any breed must be on a leash or kept in an enclosed area with a concrete surface, surrounded by a fence at least four-feet high.
Under the new ordinance, owners who already paid the fee, and there are about 70 of them, may keep their dogs, but no new ones will be permitted in the city.
To us, the real issue remains enforcing the current leash or fence ordinance. But, at least the compromise does not penalize owners who have followed the city rules and registered their dogs.
The city still needs to focus on finding good homes for unwanted pets, and supporting a low-cost spay-and-neuter program to reduce the number of dogs (and cats) that are picked up and killed each year by animal control.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...