Pit bull ordinance
The New Albany Board of Alderman has reached a reasonable compromise on the issue of banning pit bulls within the city limits.
The board had been asked by Jim Taylor, the city’s animal control officer, and by Ward One Alderman Jeff Olson to place a permanent ban on the breed.
We were opposed to that proposal for two reasons: First, because we don’t think the city should be telling individuals what kind of dog breed they can have, and, second, because the city already had charged pit bull owners a stiff registration fee.
We have argued that not all pit bulls are a problem, and that vicious dogs come in all shapes and sizes.
New Albany’s existing ordinance says dogs of any breed must be on a leash or kept in an enclosed area with a concrete surface, surrounded by a fence at least four-feet high.
Under the new ordinance, owners who already paid the fee, and there are about 70 of them, may keep their dogs, but no new ones will be permitted in the city.
To us, the real issue remains enforcing the current leash or fence ordinance. But, at least the compromise does not penalize owners who have followed the city rules and registered their dogs.
The city still needs to focus on finding good homes for unwanted pets, and supporting a low-cost spay-and-neuter program to reduce the number of dogs (and cats) that are picked up and killed each year by animal control.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...