Waffle House to locate store on Coulter Drive
One nationally-recognized restaurant chain whose name is the same as its primary product is planning to locate in New Albany.
According to New Albany Building Inspector and Zoning Administrator Mike Armstrong, Waffle House will be building its store at the intersection of Coulter Drive and Highway 30, across the highway from Walgreens.
“I have the plans for their store on my desk,” Armstrong said. “It’ll go in where the old Baskin Robbins was at.”
The first Waffle House restaurant was opened by Joe Rogers, Sr. and Tom Forkner in 1955 in Avondale, Ga. Soon, the company began to expand in Georgia and neighboring states and by the 1960’s, there were 48 restaurants across the Southeastern United States. By 2006, the number of stores had grown to 1,500.
While most famous for its waffles and other breakfast foods, Waffle House also serves other items, such as chicken sandwiches, hamburgers, pork chops and a variety of steaks.
Armstrong said he had not received word yet on when construction would begin on the restaurant.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...