Man charged with exploitation
A New Albany man accused of trying to meet a young teenage girl for sex was set to be arraigned in the Union County Circuit Court Tuesday morning.
According to Union County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy, Jerry Williams, 55, of 121 Fairview Apartments in New Albany, was charged with exploitation of a child.
“He’s going before the judge in the morning,” Edwards said Monday afternoon.
Edwards said Williams was arrested Thursday morning, May 18, at the Poolville Quick Stop after allegedly making arrangements to meet a 13 year-old-girl.
What Williams didn’t know, Edwards said, that the meeting was actually a sting operation set up by the sheriff’s department, in conjunction with the New Albany Police Department and investigators with the District Attorney’s office.
The operation began last week after Williams had first made contact with the young girl when he had responded to an advertisement in the newspaper.
“He was calling about a house trailer that was for rent,” Edwards said. “The first call he made was on Sunday, May 15.”
Edwards said that the girl answered and at first Williams asked questions about the trailer. But the conversation’s nature allegedly changed quickly, he said.
“[Williams] started asking if the girl was single and telling her that he was lonely and wanted some company,” Edwards said. “He was asking her about meeting with him.”
Edwards said that Williams called back several times a day over the next few days to speak to the girl. When the family learned what was happening, they contacted the New Albany Police Department, who then contacted the sheriff’s department.
Williams’ bond was set at $150,000. If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...