Baseball time again
The BNA Bank Cotton States Baseball League will open its third season Saturday at Legion Field at the New Albany Sportsplex.
The league is back in town for their June and July season that features five teams, all playing their games at the New Albany field.
The teams are the Tippah County Tribe, the North Delta Dealers, the Golden Triangle Jets, the Tupelo Thunder and our own Tallahatchie Rascals.
New Albany’s team, the Rascals, is coached by East Union High School’s Chris Basil, a former player at the University of Mississippi. New Albany High School coach John Walker will coach the North Delta Dealers.
Four athletes from Union County will play this season: Jimel Judon, from Ole Miss with the Tribe; Beau Cummings from Northeast with the Rascals; Sawyer Whitley from Northeast with the Thunder, and Tyler Basil from Northeast with the Dealers.
The Cotton States league traces its history to 1902, but the league closed in 1952 and was reorganized recently for teams in south Mississippi.
A couple of years ago the league expanded with a north division, and Legion Field was renovated to provide a facility for the teams.
The Cottons States league allows players from colleges and universities in the region to stay in state and play summer ball. It is a pro-style, wood-bat league.
The tickets are not expensive, and concessions are available at the games.
We encourage you to take in some games this summer to help grow the fan base so the league will continue to call New Albany home.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...